Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Breaking the Ice

Hello friends and family (and maybe complete strangers, if I am lucky)...
As many of you know, I am enrolled part-time in a holistic nutrition program at the Nutrition Therapy Institute here in Denver. The idea has plagued me for a while to start a blog where I can share my knowledge and answer questions you may have about nutrition and also overall health/ wellness. I have always had a great interest in these subjects; from reading every health, fitness and wellness magazine and article I came across and researching topics that spike my curiosity to pursuing a degree in cellular and molecular biology in college. I have worked in some aspect of health care since graduating from college, was once certified as a Personal Trainer, considered careers as a physical therapist and pharmacist, and now, the pursuit of a greater understanding of nutrition especially in the capacity to heal.

Prior to enrolling at NTI, I had no qualms with Western medicine and conventional therapy for treatment of every and all ailments. Now I am developing stronger opinions regarding the fact that western medicine turns to medications and invasive procedures too quickly to treat conditions that may be alleviated with changing your diet and paying better attention to your overall health. My personal experience in changing the way I eat (quitting processed foods, buying more local and organic produce, paying better attention to where my food comes from) has been eye opening...and as most of you know, I am in no way perfect in my eating habits, but it's amazing the effect little changes over time can have on how you feel.

Additionally I have strong opinions on the importance of exercise and fitness in maintaining optimal health. I've always known that I feel happier, more confident and more energized when I exercise, whether it's a short run, 2 hours at the gym or a hike on the beautiful trails of Colorado. So in this blog, I will also be sharing fitness tips, exercise ideas and hopefully guest posts by those who's commitment to fitness I admire.
My goal here is to provide information in an easy to understand format and to offer ideas to improve your health that are easily incorporated into your life. I also look forward to dispelling rumors especially about diet (did you know that there is little correlation between dietary cholesterol and blood cholesterol levels?), sharing my opinions on diets and just offering ideas that may be the inspiration someone finds to change their less than desirable habits!
I don't know how often I will be able to post, but I hope at least twice a week and ideas for posts are encouraged!

Stolen from a Dove Chocolate Wrapper:
"Success is getting what you want, and happiness is wanting what you get"

1 comment:

  1. I love that this is a place that people will not only find inspiration and motivation, but also a "realistic" person. We all strive to be healthy, active, and want to live life to the fullest; however, the key is balance. Perfection does not always create happiness or health. So while I respect your goals and aspirations, I also admire your realism. Cheers ... way to go girl!

    ReplyDelete