Sunday, November 15, 2009

Power Breakfast

It's procrastination time! Homework is just not my strong suite but cooking I'm pretty good at. Right now I have a pot of delicious smelling, dark, rich black bean and beef chili simmering away. Another snow storm in D-town put me in the mood for a winter favorite!
I think by now, the majority of people are aware of the importance of breakfast. Personally I think anyone who skips breakfast is missing out on the best meal of the day. I look forward to my bowl of homemade granola and milk like you wouldn't believe! Plus, it's a great opportunity get some great nutrition-dense foods into your day! Even the favorite breakfast junk foods like french toast, pancakes and muffins can be turned into healthy, antioxidant and fiber rich treats!
Yesterday morning, I was in the mood for waffles. The nutritionist in me, was in the mood for the perfect combination of protein, fiber and essential fatty acids...what else would a nutritionist be in the mood for? The compromise are these banana nut waffles. I took the basic waffle recipe from the Cuisinart Waffle Maker booklet, and completely re-designed it into something else completely. I was out of maple syrup but the waffles didn't need them. If toppings are the key to your waffle loving stomach though, I suggest some more bananas cooked in a little butter and brown sugar or maybe just some butter by itself. Without further ado, here's my culinary breakfast triumph recipe!

Banana Nut Powerhouse Waffles

1 1/2 Cups of whole wheat, unbleached flour
1 Tsp aluminum free baking powder
4 heaping Tbs of ground flaxseed
1 Cup Whole Oats
1 1/2 Tbs of melted butter or coconut oil
2-3 Tbs Blackstrap Molasses
1 egg
2/3 cup milk
2 very ripe small bananas, mashed
3/4 Cup chopped walnuts

Mix dry ingredients together in a large bowl. Then add all the other ingredients except the walnuts. Whisk everything together. If the mix is too dry, add a little water. The batter should be slightly runny but still thick. Add the walnuts. Let the batter sit for 5 minutes.
Heat the waffle iron to a medium-hot setting. Once heated coat both sides with a little non-stick spray. Put about 2/3-3/4 cup (I kind of eye-balled this) of batter in the center of the iron. Close iron and wait 5 minutes (my iron has a light that tells me it's done). Enjoy waffles while they are hot. Top with pure maple syrup, extra banana slices or a little butter if desired.
I made 4 waffles with this recipe (your servings may vary depending on how much you put in the iron). Freeze any leftover waffles!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment