Sunday, April 4, 2010

Sneaking it in


5 a day. That's the USDA's recommendation for fruit and vegetable servings. Unfortunately, that is a rather poor recommendation and yet for many people, that's a difficult goal to accomplish. Some days, I find it hard to get as many green veggies and brightly colored fruits in as I would like. Recently though, I bought a blender and I've been using it to create some fun breakfast smoothies. Smoothies are a super easy way to get more of both fruits and vegetables in your body. One of my favorite suggestions came from a fellow student when she recommended putting kale into a smoothie. Now I couldn't imagine having one without it. If you have a juicer, you could juice kale, celery and carrots and add that to a smoothie. I also freeze a banana and a large handful of berries in the blender container the night before so I don't need to use ice and the tough work is done for the next morning. Avocados make a great addition to smoothies too. The buttery texture and mild taste of avocados really enhances the overall product. Your smoothie is really only limited to the fruits and vegetables you have available, so the next time you are at the store, load up on a variety and don't forget the kale!

No comments:

Post a Comment